Secure remote access safeguards sensitive data transmission when applications are accessed from devices outside of the corporate network. It also enhances cybersecurity by introducing complexities for threat actors. In many cases, vulnerabilities in software applications, especially critical ones, may become harder to exploit as the configuration of the service begins to move away from the generic default to a more customized configuration.
What is Secure Remote Access?
Secure remote access is an umbrella under which a number of security strategies reside. It can refer to any security policy or solution that prevents unauthorized access to your network or sensitive data.
With more remote workers, different techniques may include the use of both VPN and RDP together (using different authentication mechanisms), implementation of multi-factor authentication (MFA), restrictions on which accounts may use remote access, during what times, with what password strength, and internal operating system controls that manage and protect passwords and authentication processes.
Why is Secure Remote Access Important?
If an organization does not implement any other layers of authentication besides the standard login with a username and password, there is a higher probability of a successful ransomware attack which could result in encryption and exfiltration of data, demands for payment, damage to reputation as well as lost data and revenue.
Read our Ransomware Best Practices eBook for insights on security threats and steps that you can take to mitigate your risk and rapidly recover from an attack.
Remote Access Risk Mitigation While Keeping it Simple
Some of the most effective ways to potentially reduce the risks associated with remote access systems are also some of the simplest:
- Disable remote access technologies if not absolutely required for the business.
- Restrict remote access to only the users that require such access, and restrict individual user access to only the services/systems that such users may require.
- Use current versions of operating systems and applications, and regularly update and patch. Critical patches should be applied to remote access systems within 3-7 days.
- Enforce a strong password policy with regular password changes. Strong password policy means both strength of the password but also complexity, lock-out policies and similar settings.
- Restrict and segment remote access services based on data classification.
- Use a VPN with MFA if you do use RDP.
- Where possible use multiple account login credentials as opposed to configuring all layers to authenticate via the same active directory.
- Implement internal monitoring tools to ensure that access is being used correctly and that systems are not being accessed outside of normal parameters.
Storagepipe Can Help
Old access security measures are no longer enough to ensure that your cybersecurity strategy is protecting your data and business continuity, and must be replaced with safeguards that allow employees and other verified users safe and secure access from anywhere, at any time, from any device.
We can provide your business with a suite of customized options to safeguard your business. Contact us now to get started.
Storagepipe to the Rescue
Your Backup and Disaster Recovery Heroes
Storagepipe is a trusted global provider of comprehensive cloud, data protection and security services.
Since 2001, Storagepipe has provided these robust and secure managed cloud and disaster recovery solutions from a scalable multi-tenant infrastructure, supported by our first-class in-house technical team. Storagepipe delivers highly flexible and responsive solutions with outstanding value and service, using state-of-the-art technology to offer ultimate protection and peace of mind.
We are driven to be your trusted partner and to ensure that we deliver a Storagepipe Experience that meets your business requirements with the reliability, scalability and support that your business demands.
Contact us today to discover your options around data loss prevention and rapid ransomware recovery with services such as DRaaS Veeam managed appliance for VMWare and HyperV, DRaaS physical server replication, and other Storagepipe DR services. Ensure your business continuity by meeting your operational demands while protecting and recovering your most valuable asset – your data.